16 July 2013

iceland VII.

lonely abandoned buildings have always been fascinating for me - especially when in the middle of nowhere: there is certainly something spooky about them too and they make me wonder why they were left that way and what is their story. during our trip around Iceland we have seen many abandoned farmhouses and everytime we have stopped to admire them - lonesome and worn out by the weather. North Iceland has been the place where we encountered most of them: I have decided to share a few photographs here - though there are plenty more I am saving for our coffee table book.
6th selection of my photographs from Iceland:
Hasselblad 500 C/M - Fuji Pro 400H, Fuji Reala 100
Nikon FM - Fuji Pro 400H
I have taken all the photographs of this sixth selection on our way from Akureyri to Blönduós. those empty houses were such a sight among the green valleys of North Iceland - some of them had been turned into shelters for sheep and some others had simply been left standing there: nevertheless I felt like they were worth a photograph.
P.S. I have created the tag Iceland to make it easier for anyone interested in going through my posts dedicated to our trip - since they are becoming quite many: in case you have missed some you can find them all here!

16 comments:

  1. Abandoned houses also fascinate me and I don't really know why. Maybe because they seem to hold within themselves the purest form of silence, even though the world changes around them.

    I could stare at these photos for hours! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, they are just so fascinating, melancholy and full of unknown memories!
      I'm really glad you like these photographs! Thank you, dear Inês!

      Delete
  2. *-* dovevate entrarci!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Avremmo voluto, ma in un certo senso non ci sentivamo di violare un mondo così speciale - non so se mi spiego. Erano meravigliose comunque!

      Delete
  3. What an amazing trip, Polly!

    xoxoxoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, it was, dear Charlyn! I miss it so much! I cannot believe a month has already passed - thankfully there are still the photographs to look at!

      Delete
  4. Hope your book is coming out soon,i'm going to buy it!
    lovely work <3

    abandoned houses are like ghosts,a material sign of what once was,i'm drawn to this places,always looking for signs of humans*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, my dear! I would be so happy if you did!
      Abandoned houses are absolutely fascinating - are there many in Portugal?

      Delete
  5. Like fairytales! the abandoned house and the slopping hills. They are amazing Polly!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much! I'm so glad you think so! I couldn't restrain myself from picturing those incredible houses!

      Delete
  6. I want to go here too <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I totally understand you - as I so badly want to go back!

      Delete
  7. my favourite post from iceland! wow the house!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I knew you would have liked it, Amanda! You and Emma would love those abandoned farms!

      Delete
  8. i have a soft spot for rural architecture, and i'm in awe with with those farmhouses! they'll look great on your coffee table book

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Silvia! I'm glad you like them too! Old farm houses are very fascinating indeed!

      Delete